Any appointment to a leadership position is not just the end of a recruitment process, it is also the start of a new career challenge requiring quick delivery of results. Whether an internal or external appointment, it is often considered that the first 90 days are crucial in setting the scene and tone for the future.
The bfpeople First 90 Days coaching programme is tailored to specific needs, ensuring a smooth transition and the early delivery of results through enabling the appointee to:
- Establish effective working relationships with key internal colleagues, external stakeholders and decision makers
- Build a High Performing Team
- Initiate and Manage Change
- Raise Individual, Team and Organisational Performance
The programme provides a flexible package of support tailored to both the individual needs of the appointee and the needs of the organisational context in which he/she will be operating. Designed to operate for around 3 months from the start of the appointment, it typically consists of one, or both, of the following:
The First 90 Days coaching programme typically consists of four to six individual coaching sessions, each lasting 2 to 3 hours. These sessions will be used to:
- Raise Self Awareness of the appointee’s Personal Operating Styles, and the potential impact of these on others, using a selection of psychometric instruments and personality questionnaires
- Identify those Impact Strategies that are most likely to work in the organisational context in which the appointee is operating (with a focus on a small number of key actions)
- Measure the appointee’s progress in flexing his or her natural style to the needs of new colleagues and the organisation
- Provide inputs, as appropriate on key Behavioural, Skill and Knowledge areas
Team Development & Coaching
A key element in ensuring speedy delivery of results in a new role is the need to develop a High Performing Team as soon as possible. This is the focus of the second element of the First 90 days coaching programme and is likely to include individual sessions with each member of the Core Management Team to:
- Raise their own Self Awareness of their personal style and its potential impact on others (and especially the team);
- Identify their views on the core issues for the team and, especially those factors most likely to enable or block enhanced performance.
- A Team Development event, facilitated in a Coaching Style, to:
- Identify and consider the implications of the Team Profile;
- Discuss the feature of High Performing Teams;
- Confirm the Team’s Strategy for Success;
- Identify actions (Team & Individual) to enable success and measures of progress.
- Ongoing support to enhance Team Performance and also enable individuals to fulfil their role and maximise their contribution
Summary of the First 90 Days Programme and Benefits
The First 90 Days coaching programme recognises that:
- the Leadership & Performance style used in the first 3 months of a new post are critical in determining the extent of impact likely to be made (or not) in the new post;
- support from an experienced leader with expertise in assessment, who can offer independent views in a confidential setting, is often not available within organisations;
- the need to take time to meet key people and understand the organisation (its structure, policies, interpersonal complexities) can often slow down the development & delivery of results – this programme ensures that a strong focus remains on ensuring Personal Impact throughout this period;
- The programme is totally flexible and therefore tailored to the needs of the Appointee and the Organisation’s own particular context and challenges;
- a focused, results-oriented service which requires a minimum of time commitment (approximately 15 hours for the appointee and 1.5 days per team member over three months);
This programme is not restricted to people who are recruited through bfpeople. Any employer – or any individual – can engage us to work with them. If you recognise the importance of making a quick impact in a new appointment click the button below to get in touch.